You will need to be a well-known or notable food company or caterer based in Europe which can satisfy the following criteria:
- Lower maximum stocking density: equal to or less than 30kg/m2
- Slower-growing birds: genetic potential growth rate equal to or less than 50g per day averaged over the growth cycle, or conduct and agreed leg health plan
- Enrichment provision: natural light, straw bales, perches, and pecking objects
There are three award categories:
- Fresh chicken
- Frozen chicken
- Further processed & ingredient chicken
If you are a retailer, we will assume you are entering on the basis of your own-label chicken meat policies in the above categories, EXCLUDING any branded chicken lines you sell.
We award those who are already using only higher welfare chicken as well as applicants wishing to make a commitment within 5 years.
Companies can apply via their engagement with the Food Business Team and completion of an application form signed at director level.
When you are accepted, we need to know the following information:
Which higher welfare chicken production system/s do you currently use or are committed to use?
- RSPCA Freedom Food™ Indoor
- Other higher welfare indoors (please specify details)
What quantity of chicken is covered by your current or future policy?
This information allows us to calculate how many chickens will benefit every year from your ‘Good Chicken’ policy or commitment. Obviously, if you are able to tell us the number of chickens benefiting per annum from your commitment, that will be much appreciated.
How do you audit your chicken supply or how do you plan to audit it?
E.g. Contract with your supplier, RSPCA Freedom Food™, Label Rouge, other….
Please add any additional information that you would like to share with us, especially the reasons why you want to apply for an award.
E.g. Why have you chosen to change your current chicken supply policy? Has this change been motivated by your customers?
If you would like to find out more, please contact the Food Business team today.