Turkeys are protected under the general EU animal welfare legislation and are included in the Council Regulation (EC) No 1234/2007 as regards the marketing standards for poultrymeat but are not covered under any detailed species-specific legislation.
Main welfare concerns are stocking density, high growth rates, lack of environmental enrichment and inhumane slaughter methods.
You will need to be a well-known or notable food company that can satisfy the following criteria:
Current policy or five year commitment to achieve:
- Lower stocking density: Maximum stocking density defined by the “allometric equation” defining the minimum space needed for an active turkey according to its live weight – e.g. 36 kg/m2 for a 15kg bird or 29 kg/m2 for a 8kg bird
- Active leg health plan: Active monitoring of foot, hip and leg health with an established improvement plan
- Provision of environmental enrichment: Including perching surfaces, pecking substrates and natural light
- Slaughter: Controlled atmosphere system or effective electrical stunning system with no live inversion
You can apply for a Good Turkey Award under the following categories:
- Fresh turkey
- Frozen turkey
- Further processed and ingredient turkey
Companies can apply via their engagement with the Food Business team and on completion of an application form signed at Director level.
Where an application is made on a commitment basis, Compassion will remain in contact with award winners over the commitment period, to assess progress made and provide continued support.
When you apply for a Good Turkey Award, we need to know the following information:
- What quantity of turkey is covered by your current or future policy?
This information allows us to calculate how many turkeys will benefit every year from your ‘Good Turkey Award’ policy or commitment. Obviously, if you are able to tell us the number of turkeys benefiting per annum from your commitment, that will be much appreciated.
- Please add any additional information that you would like to share with us, especially the reasons why you want to apply for an award.
E.g. Why have you chosen to change your current turkey supply policy? Has this change been motivated by your customers?
If you have any questions about the Good Turkey Award, please contact us for advice.