Eligibility and criteria
You will need to be a well-known or notable food company that can satisfy the following welfare criteria:
- No eggs or egg product to be sourced from hens in barren battery cages
- A current policy or commitment to meet the following criteria in five years:
- No eggs or egg product to be sourced from hens in ‘enriched cages'
- Cage-free must be written into your sourcing policy
Supermarkets are eligible for a ‘Commendation Award’ if they meet the criteria for their own-label shell egg.
You can apply for a Good Egg Award in two different food categories:
- Whole or shell eggs
- Egg product (liquid or powder)
We award three types of cage-free eggs:
Companies can apply via their engagement with the Food Business team and on completion of an application form signed at Director level.
Where an application is made on a commitment basis, Compassion will remain in contact with award winners over the commitment period, to assess progress made and provide continued support.
When you apply for a Good Egg Award, we need to know the following information:
- What quantity of eggs or egg product is covered by your current or future policy?
This information allows us to calculate how many laying hens will benefit each year from your commitment. Obviously, if you are able to tell us the number of hens benefiting per annum from your commitment, that will be much appreciated.
- How do you audit your egg supply or how do you plan to audit it to ensure it is cage-free?
E.g. Contract with your supplier, other…
- Please add any additional information that you would like to share with us, especially the reasons why you want to apply for an award.
E.g. Why have you chosen to change your current egg supply policy? Has this change been motivated by your customers?
If you would like to find out more, please contact the Food Business team today.