Please note the conditions for awarding the Good Egg Award have been strengthened in 2018, in line with the wave of corporate commitments to cage-free egg production by 2025, on whole/shell and ingredient eggs.
You will need to be a well-known or notable food company who can satisfy the following criteria:
- You have an overarching, group-level company policy committing to end the use of cages for laying hens by 2025, at least applicable regionally, across your supply chain for whole/shell and ingredient eggs.*
Plus a current policy or commitment to meet the following criteria in 5 years:
- No eggs or egg product to be sourced from hens in cage systems, including ‘enriched-cages’ and combination cages (‘combi-cages’).
- Your commitment to cage-free eggs must be written into your sourcing policy and a policy statement must be publically available on your website.
* In order for a company or brand to receive a Good Egg Award which applies to a specific country, brand or product category (i.e. shell or ingredient egg), the company must have a group-level, regional (i.e. EU, Asia or North America) commitment to stop using eggs from caged hens by 2025, which applies across both shell and ingredient egg supply chains.
For Retailers: The whole/shell egg policy must apply to all eggs sold in store (own label and branded). The ingredient egg policy need only apply to own label products.
You can apply for a Good Egg Award in two different food categories:
- Whole or shell eggs
- Egg product (liquid or powder)
We award three types of cage-free eggs:
*Please note that we will not award barn systems that feature combination cages (‘combi-cages’).
Companies can apply via their engagement with the Food Business team and on completion of an application form signed at Director level.
Where an application is made on a commitment basis, Compassion will remain in contact with award winners over the commitment period, to assess progress made and provide continued support.
When you apply for a Good Egg Award, we need to know the following information:
- What quantity of eggs or egg product is covered by your current or future policy?
This information allows us to calculate how many laying hens will benefit each year from your commitment. Obviously, if you are able to tell us the number of hens benefiting per annum from your commitment, that will be much appreciated.
- How do you audit your egg supply or how do you plan to audit it to ensure it is cage-free?
E.g. Contract with your supplier, other…
- Please add any additional information that you would like to share with us, especially the reasons why you want to apply for an award.
E.g. Why have you chosen to change your current egg supply policy? Has this change been motivated by your customers?
If you would like to find out more, please contact the Food Business team today.